Below is a sample job analysis. It includes sections on Job ID, Job Requirements (what is done in the positions) and Employee requirements (what skills are needed by the person who holds the position).
This sample is intended to give you some sense of the content and information required in a job analysis. Since each job is so different, you will have to uses prior jobs descriptions, interviews of managers and past employees to fill out the detailed contents your specific job analysis.
Sometimes you can find job description software to help you along or maybe a job description writer but in the end, you still need to think carefully about a couple of key things... with or without the help. Ultimately you need to know what the person is going to be doing and for the most part, you are doing the job evaluation yourself anyway even with help from a writer or software.
Please note a sample job analysis and is not meant to cover every type of position. Use this sample and update it per your companies policies and job responsibilities. For further information about a job analysis, visit our page on
functional job analysis.
If you would like your own copy of this document, see sample job analysis form below.
NOTE: You can also request an example job analysis by simply filling out our
job analysis examples
page and fill out the request form.
The example below is for a sales person who is selling financial service products. About 75% of his/her time is spent in the office and the other 25% is out on the road making presentations to customers. The job requires a Certified Financial Planners designation and requires heavy duty lead generation.
Job Title: Financial Planning Sales Classification: Full Time Exempt Employee Department/Division: Financial Product/ Western Regional Location: Orange County California Pay Grade: Level IV (Base + Commission)
A. Summary of Position
Researches and identifies target client sectors for financial product services. Develops and implements a sales process to include initial contact, follow up, presentation and closing procedures. Maintains records of contacts and sales status including contact reports, sales projections and quota ratios.
B. Job Duties
1) Research and Create targeted new client lists within Orange County California territory
2) Makes initial contact with potential clients
3) Performs routine and regular follow up with potential clients
4) Performs routine and regular follow up with former clients
5) Visits potential clients and makes sales presentations
6) Closes sales
7) Maintains regular record reporting sales activity
C. Computer Skills and Software Used
1) Windows operating system
2) MS Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
3) Constant Contact or other Customer Relations Management Software
D. Reporting Structure
1) Reports to regional sales manager
2) Has nobody directly reporting to this position
3) Required to participate in Annual Sales Meeting
A. Education and Training
1) Bachelor Degree in business, finance or accounting or 5 Years experience and High School Diploma. Bachelors Degree Preferred
2) ABC Financial Planning - Level 3 or higher (Fictional)
B. Skills and Aptitudes
1) Fearless cold caller, 250+ Outbound calls per week
2) Ability to close a sale
3. Adapt to changing financial conditions and meet customer expectations
C. Environment and Physical
1) Work in high volume sales office
2) Be able to sit for prolonged periods of time
3) Be able to travel to client locations 25% of time