Below is a sample job analysis. It includes sections on Job ID, Job Requirements (what is done in the positions) and Employee requirements (what skills are needed by the person who holds the position).
This sample is intended to give you some sense of the content and information required in a job analysis. Since each job is so different, you will have to uses prior jobs descriptions, interviews of managers and past employees to fill out the detailed contents your specific job analysis.
Sometimes you can find job description software to help you along or maybe a job description writer but in the end, you still need to think carefully about a couple of key things... with or without the help. Ultimately you need to know what the person is going to be doing and for the most part, you are doing the job evaluation yourself anyway even with help from a writer or software.
Please note a sample job analysis and is not meant to cover every type of position. Use this sample and update it per your companies policies and job responsibilities. For further information about a job analysis, visit our page on functional job analysis. If you would like your own copy of this document, see sample job analysis form below.
NOTE: You can also request an example job analysis by simply filling out our job analysis examples page and fill out the request form.
With permission from Synergy Solutions we've reprinted the following example.
The example below is for a sales person who is selling financial service products. About 75% of his/her time is spent in the office and the other 25% is out on the road making presentations to customers. The job requires a Certified Financial Planners designation and requires heavy duty lead generation.
Job Title: Financial Planning Sales
Classification: Full Time Exempt Employee
Department/Division: Financial Product/ Western Regional
Location: Orange County California
Pay Grade: Level IV (Base + Commission)
A. Summary of Position
Researches and identifies target client sectors for financial product services. Develops and implements a sales process to include initial contact, follow up, presentation and closing procedures. Maintains records of contacts and sales status including contact reports, sales projections and quota ratios.
Try searching the site
Feel Free to use this sample job analysis for as an example of what yours should look like.
Remember, if you look at the job in reverse, in other words what outcomes would be seen as a success for the person performing the job, the Job Analysis often becomes clearer.
If you would like a copy of this sample job analysis, please fill out the short form below and we will email you a PDF version of the contents of this page.
More Related Topics Recruiting Employees - The Do It Yourself Essentials Recruiting Methods - The Hiring Process Find Employees The Phone Interview - A good first impression. Reference Checks - Make it count Employee Selection Process Made Easy Job Descriptions Made Simple Job Hopping and other Red Flags HR Benchmarking Functional Job Analysis - Make it clear! Letter of Reference Immigration Laws for Employers Immigration Attorneys - Exclusive Interview Writing an Effective Job Posting Recruitment Strategy - How to attract top candidates Definition Of Success
If you the person recruiting employees for your company, here are some tips to help you out...
Sample recruiting methods including process, timeline, budget and job description.
Places to find employees you may not have considered.
The phone interview - make it useful and make a great first impression.
Reference Checks - How to make them count.
An employee selection process that gets it right.!
Overview of good job descriptions and a sample template.
Job hopping and other resume red flags
HR Benchmarking as part of the hiring process can significantly minimized hiring mistakes and improve that sample job analysis.
A clear functional job analysis is the foundation of a useful job description. Goes along with sample job analysis.
Value of Letter of Reference
Immigration Laws for Employers and How to Recruit Foreign Workers
Immigration Attorneys - What to know about hiring foreign workers
How to Write an Effective Job Posting - The key to attracting top talent
Your recruiting strategy defines how you will attract top candidates. Learn what to do and what not to do.
Definition Of Success - The Key to Winning Job Description
More Related Topics
Recruiting Employees - The Do It Yourself Essentials
Recruiting Methods - The Hiring Process
The Phone Interview - A good first impression.
Reference Checks - Make it count
Employee Selection Process Made Easy
Job Descriptions Made Simple
Job Hopping and other Red Flags
Functional Job Analysis - Make it clear!
Letter of Reference
Immigration Laws for Employers
Immigration Attorneys - Exclusive Interview
Writing an Effective Job Posting
Recruitment Strategy - How to attract top candidates
Definition Of Success